Claras Tacos

Along with the Chili, another dish that Hubby was THRILLED that was able to stay around in it's original form was my tacos. Some background information, Hubby is of Mexican decent and was born and raised in San Diego. He is used to authentic, *really* good Mexican food. However, when Hubby and I were dating, we were going to college in Alabama, and then returned there after we were married, so obviously, true, authentic Mexican food was hard to come by. We attempted to satisfy his cravings by sampling lots of different restaurants, and I even attempted a recipe or two. But, nothing was quite "right." Being of Thai decent, and I myself trying to find authentic Thai in Alabama, I could completely understand his missing real Mexican food and I searched for ways to do it right. Well, one night, in another attempt to do so, I decided to try a new marinade that I had spotted at the local grocery store. I tried it, and it turned out GREAT! Hubby was SO happy. This recipe has been in heavy rotation ever since (Fall of 2005) with no complaints! So, I am here to share the recipe with you. It is GDSYWP-free, is deemed fairly authentic by my Mexican-American Hubby and is SUPER easy to make! The most important ingredient is:

Mojo Criollo Marinade by Goya

All you have to do is marinade the steak in this sauce overnight and grill! Seriously! That's it! You can also use the oven and/or broiler, too, but I like having Hubby take care of the meat while I make home-made salsa, guacamole and whatever other sides we are having.

The marinade can be found in the Hispanic food section of the grocery store, and is also available on several websites. It gives the most delicious citrusy/garlicy flavor without much spice. As for the meat, we usually use flank steak, but whatever you have on hand will do, even chicken! Just keep in mind if you decide to use beef, just be sure to cut the meat across the grain because this marinade doesn't really tenderize (or at least not on the type of meat we use), and so the meat can be super tough.

To keep things authentic, and GDSYWP-free, use soft corn tortillas like these to wrap your delicious meat. Actually, you're supposed to use 2 of these to wrap your meat, like Hubby does, but that is sometimes too much tortilla for me.
I usually have Hubby throw those on the grill too after the meat is done for just a minute or two to heat them up a bit. You could also do it on a skillet in the stove, but again, it's nice to have Hubby deal with it while I tend to the sides. And, the grill gives the tortillas a sort of smoky flavor.

One side item that I often make with this dish is Spanish Rice. I have finally found a great recipe and tweaked it to be just right for Hubby and me - and it is deliciously GDSYWP-free! I will share that recipe with ya'll in my next post!

If you try this recipe, leave me a comment and let me know what you think of it!

 

0 comments:


Disclaimer

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are purely my own and are not coerced, swayed or influenced by a company, organization or other person. The information contained here is to the best of my knowledge at the date posted. I am NOT an expert and am NOT responsible for anything that you do with this information. Please do your own research, seek out professionals and read all ingredients yourself in order to ensure that the choices you make are right for your lifestyle.

Comments on this website may not represent the views of the blog owner and their claims, advice, etc. are the sole responsibility of their original writers, NOT the blog owner.

Search This Blog

National Soy-Free Food Examiner Articles

Silver Spring Gluten-Free Food Examiner Articles





Followers