Bulk Cooking

So, I'm sure I've mentioned in the past that I really like to make foods in bulk and freeze them. It's great for a few of reasons:
1) It's economical - frozen GDSYWP-free foods are expensive!
2) I can only handle eating so many leftovers before getting tired of them, this makes sure that I don't throw away a bunch of perfectly good food
3) It's convenient! I can just grab it and take it to lunch or grab it when we're going to someone elses house so I know that if they don't have something safe for me to eat, I am prepared!

So, what are you waiting for? You should do some bulk cooking yourself! :D

I thought I'd compile my favorite bulk cooking recipes for your use. This list is by no means complete, and I'm sure to update it from time-to-time. When I do, I'll be sure to put an "updated" date on it so you'll always know how recent it is.

Updated: 2/16/09

Stove-Top
Chili (to switch this up, you can put it on top of hot dogs for Chili Dogs or you can put it on top of a salad to make Taco Salad)
Spanish Rice (you can add ground turkey/beef to this and/or whatever veggies you have on hand to make it more of a main dish)
Curry
Turkey or Chicken Veggie soup (I take a roasted turkey or chicken carcass, boil it out to make a broth, add any leftover chicken pieces, along with chopped celery onions and drained canned green beans, corn and carrots. Yum!)
Pancakes and Waffles!
Carries Creamy Clam Chowder

Oven:
Easy Light Cassoulet
Roasted meat (I love to make a large roast, then freeze the leftover, cooked meat to use later in a recipe or to defrost and eat with sides later)

Crock Pot:
Pizza Soup
Pasta Fagioli
Burger Heaven Casserole

Things that do NOT freeze well:
GF Pasta (the Pasta Fagioli and Pizza Soup recipes above call for GF Pasta. You can tackle this 2 ways - 1: just deal with soggy, broken up pasta - which is what I usually do - or 2: make and freeze the soup without the pasta and make fresh stuff and add it when you're ready to eat the soup)

Enjoy!

 

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Great ideas Clara!! I don't do as much bulk cooking as I should, inpart due to the fact that we have a TINY freezer! And I hate it because for instance I have about 20 lbs. of sweet potatoes in our utility closet of our carport because I didn't cook them like I thought I would between thanksgiving and Christmas and now I have tons of sweet potatoes that i don't know what to do with! lol... If I had more freezer space I would boil them and freeze the mashed sweet potatoes for baking, but without freezer space, I don't know what to do with them!!

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

I so need to get on the "bulk" cooking bandwagon! This past weekend we had a birthday party for my 7 year old. I was the only "gluten free" person in attendance, so while everyone gobbled down pizza and cake, I had a glass of wine :) It's times like these when a frozen meal or two on hand would be a life saver! Great post!


Disclaimer

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are purely my own and are not coerced, swayed or influenced by a company, organization or other person. The information contained here is to the best of my knowledge at the date posted. I am NOT an expert and am NOT responsible for anything that you do with this information. Please do your own research, seek out professionals and read all ingredients yourself in order to ensure that the choices you make are right for your lifestyle.

Comments on this website may not represent the views of the blog owner and their claims, advice, etc. are the sole responsibility of their original writers, NOT the blog owner.

Search This Blog

National Soy-Free Food Examiner Articles

Silver Spring Gluten-Free Food Examiner Articles





Followers