Safe Asian Foods

As an Asian American, I crave and need my Asian food every now and then. But, being gluten and soy intolerant doesn't make getting my "fix" very easy. Asian food is one of the hardest to eat out simply because many Asian sauces have wheat in them, and of course, most have soy in them ... even ones that don't traditionally call for soy, like Pad Thai sauce ... but I'll try not to get onto my soapbox right now.

Anyway, I have been compiling a list of Safe Asian Foods
/Brands for a while now and thought that you might appreciate this list too.

This list is by no means complete, and I'm sure to update it from time-to-time. When I do, I'll be sure to put an "updated" date on it so you'll always know how recent it is.

As always, be sure to read all the labels for yourself to make sure that ingredients haven't changed, that you've chosen the right brand/type, and to just generally make sure that these foods fit your chosen lifestyle.


Oyster Sauce
:
Lee Kum Kee - the Choy Sun Type
Lee Kum Kee - Panda Brand - Green Label Cholesterol Free Type (This product must be pretty new as I am unable to find it for sale online anywhere, but I did find this flyer with all the information about the product)
Wok Mei

Fish Sauce:
Thai Kitchen
Squid
Golden Boy
Tra Chang

Peanut Satay Sauce:
Thai Kitchen - does contain SOYBEAN OIL
Maesri

Spicy/Hot Sauces:
Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce
Huey Fong Chili Garlic Sauce
Huey Fong Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce

Pad Thai Sauce:
MaxChup
Thai Kitchen
Maesri - does contain SOYBEAN OIL

Curry Paste:
Maesri Masaman - does contain SOYBEAN OIL
Maesri Panang
Mae Ploy Masaman
Mae Ploy Panag

Instant Foods:
Thai Kitchen Original Pad Thai
Thai Pavilion Authentic Pad Thai - does contain SOYBEAN OIL

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a post! International food has so many great staples for the gluten-free diet- I can't remember NOT cooking internationally. I am gluten-free but not soy-free, but I have some friends with multiple intolerances so I know how difficult it can be from cooking for them. I have a feature on my blog sometimes called the Gluten-Free Soy-Free challenge where I make a food soy free that usually contains it... It can definitely be tricky, although do-able. Have you used the (first) oyster sauce you recommended? I know the company even says it is gluten-free, but it gave me a stomach ache. :( Of course, sometimes it is hard to figure out why things bother us...
-Sea

Clara said...

Hi Sea!

Yes, I have used that oyster sauce. I didn't have any problems with it. Are you sure you had that exact one? Lee Kum Kee has LOTS of different types of sauces, even oyster sauces. I found that out the hard way when Hubby picked some up for me and it had wheat in it!!! I have to really search to find it, but when I do, I buy a minimum of 3 bottles! lol! :D

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had that exact one. I am very careful when reading labels (have been gluten-free for 29 years), and I had even checked the web site to verify that they said it was gluten-free. Hard to say why it might have bothered me, but perhaps it was a low cross-contamination issue that wouldn't bother everyone. *shrug*

-Sea

Clara said...

Yeah, it's always hard to tell. I have good luck with it, so far. Maybe you could try the second one that I listed. I bought that a week or two ago and have also had a good experience with it. I think it's fairly new to the market but I was able to find it at my "regular," American grocery store.

Anonymous said...

Clara,
I love your blog, thanks for answering my hemp vs. dari free question. i too find it hard to cook asian when you are soy-free. Are you really saying that those oyster sauces above don't have soy? do they have msg? i am so surprised.

Clara said...

Hi Jenn!

Yes, the oyster sauces listed above are soy free and even MSG free. If you click on them (the stuff written in green is linked), you will find a list of ingredients! :D

Jen said...

Hi Clara,

I tried the mae ploy sweet chili sauce and got a little sick (I'm gluten free). I saw the ingredients looked ok, except for the vinegar. Do you know what type of vinegar they use? Thanks, Jen

Clara said...

Hi Jen!

I'm so sorry to hear that you got sick!

I don't know for sure what vinegar is used, but I would assume distilled white as that is what is used most often in Asian coking. The only vinegar that I know of that is not GF is Malt Vinegar, apple cider FLAVORED vinegar, and balsamic FLAVORED vinegar, and I'm pretty sure that's not used as I think they all have a distinct flavor.

Most GF people tolerate vinegar fine due to the distillation process, but I have heard of some very sensitive people not being able to tolerate it. Maybe that's the case with you.

Are you able to tolerate vinegar in other forms?


Disclaimer

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are purely my own and are not coerced, swayed or influenced by a company, organization or other person. The information contained here is to the best of my knowledge at the date posted. I am NOT an expert and am NOT responsible for anything that you do with this information. Please do your own research, seek out professionals and read all ingredients yourself in order to ensure that the choices you make are right for your lifestyle.

Comments on this website may not represent the views of the blog owner and their claims, advice, etc. are the sole responsibility of their original writers, NOT the blog owner.

Search This Blog

National Soy-Free Food Examiner Articles

Silver Spring Gluten-Free Food Examiner Articles





Followers