Chicken and Spinach Bake

Boy do I love Google!

Last week, I had planned a Chicken Masaman Curry night. Well, when I actually went to make it, I didn't feel like curry! So I check my fridge - I had chicken thighs (that were supposed to go into the curry) and some spinach. I did a quick search (and that's why I love Google!) and I found this recipe. I'll also list it here in case the link dies or doesn't work for you or whatever. Here it is:

----------
Chicken and Spinach Bake
from Diana Rattray, About.com
Serves 4

Ingredients:
8 to 12 ounces fresh chopped or baby spinach, cleaned
salt and pepper
1/4 cup chicken broth
4 chicken breast halves, boneless, pounded slightly to even thickness
Creole or Cajun seasoning blend or other blend
salt and pepper
1 large tomato, diced
4 green onions, with green, sliced

Preparation:
Heat oven to 350°.

Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish or spray with cooking spray.

Put spinach in the baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add chicken broth.

Sprinkle chicken with seasoning blend, salt, and pepper; arrange over the spinach.

Sprinkle with the diced tomato and green onion.

Cover the baking dish with foil. Bake for 25 minutes.

Uncover and bake for 10 to 15 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked through.
----------

And wouldn't you know, it was delicious! :D I served it with brown rice and it was just lovely! I did make a few changes:
I used chicken thighs instead of breasts, and only 3 as that's all I had
I didn't weigh my spinach - I just used what I had, which was one large bunch
I didn't have green onions, so I used some red onion
I added a clove of garlic, sliced up ... just because I think every savory dish needs some garlic! ;)

I really did like it! It was super quick, easy, healthy, made with ingredients that I usually have on hand, and the best part ... Hubby even liked it! He doesn't really care much for spinach, but ate it anyway! It was sort of matted to the chicken, so he didn't really have a choice, but he said he didn't mind it at all! Whoa! He suggested that next time I use fish instead and I think that's a fabulous idea! I need another way to cook fish! :D

If you can have dairy, I think some feta sprinkled on top and allowed to heat/melt before serving would be just perfect!

Enjoy!

 

0 comments:


Disclaimer

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are purely my own and are not coerced, swayed or influenced by a company, organization or other person. The information contained here is to the best of my knowledge at the date posted. I am NOT an expert and am NOT responsible for anything that you do with this information. Please do your own research, seek out professionals and read all ingredients yourself in order to ensure that the choices you make are right for your lifestyle.

Comments on this website may not represent the views of the blog owner and their claims, advice, etc. are the sole responsibility of their original writers, NOT the blog owner.

Search This Blog

National Soy-Free Food Examiner Articles

Silver Spring Gluten-Free Food Examiner Articles





Followers