Seafood Pasta

Last week, we were given a box of canned goods from someone who was moving. I rummaged through it to find things that would be safe for me to eat. One thing I found was some canned sardines in tomato sauce with red pepper. I have never had them, but hey, it was safe for me, and it was free! I did a quick Google search trying to figure out what to do with them and came up with this recipe. I thought it looked like a good place to start. But, as I was cooking it, it seemed a bit bland for my tastes. So, I doctored it up a bit! Here is what I came up with:

---------------------
Seafood Pasta
from Clara, http://sixfoodintolerance.blogspot.com
Makes 4 large servings

Ingredients:
16 ounces brown rice pasta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (5.5 ounce) can sardines in tomato sauce with chili, not drained (I used this one)
2 (6.5 ounce) cans minced claims in clam juice (1 drained, 1 not drained)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
6 baby Portobello mushrooms, sliced
Lemon juice
2 tsp Italian Seasoning

Directions:
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook until tender.

While the pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cook for a few minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook until fragrant.

Add the sardines with their sauce, breaking up the sardines with your spoon a bit. Cook a bit to heat the sardines through.

Drain the diced tomatoes and add them to the pan and the Italian Seasoning.

Drain 1 can of the minced clams - put the clams in a bowl off to the side. With the second can, drain them over the pan, allowing the juice to go into the sauce, add the clams to the same bowl as the other. Do not add the minced clams yet.

Add the sliced mushrooms, stir and reduce heat to low.

Keep on a low simmer until the pasta is ready, allowing the sauce to thicken.

When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the sauce.

Add the clams and the lemon juice.

Continue cooking just long enough to heat the clams through (if you cook them too long, they'll get chewy/rubbery).

Serve and enjoy!
---------------------

This dish turned out pretty tasty. Hubby thought it was a bit too "fishy" but enjoyed it anyway. I think that next time, I will add some fresh basil. I think it would "brighten" the dish and maybe take away some of the fishiness.

The thing I like most about this dish is it is made from things that I can keep in my pantry. I love "pantry" meals because I can keep the ingredients on hand for a long time and just whip the dish up whenever I need it and quickly, too! Pantry food, and meals, have saved our budget lots of times when we were struggling.

 

0 comments:


Disclaimer

The opinions and thoughts expressed here are purely my own and are not coerced, swayed or influenced by a company, organization or other person. The information contained here is to the best of my knowledge at the date posted. I am NOT an expert and am NOT responsible for anything that you do with this information. Please do your own research, seek out professionals and read all ingredients yourself in order to ensure that the choices you make are right for your lifestyle.

Comments on this website may not represent the views of the blog owner and their claims, advice, etc. are the sole responsibility of their original writers, NOT the blog owner.

Search This Blog

National Soy-Free Food Examiner Articles

Silver Spring Gluten-Free Food Examiner Articles





Followers