Spaghetti squash is a wonderfully versatile winter squash. Rich in beta-carotene, vitamin A, C, potassium and fiber, it is also healthy. Use the naturally stringy spaghetti squash in place of pasta in spaghetti, eat as a side dish topped with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, or make this healthy, portable, delicious breakfast! And, it's husband approved! :)
Squash Egg Muffins
from Clara Ogren, http://www.sixfoodintolerance.com
Ingredients (for each muffin):
1/8 cup spaghetti squash, cooked
1/4 a piece of thick-cut Esskay Turkey Bacon (or whatever bacon you have and however much you want!)
1 tsp or 3g Daiya cheese (I mixed both the cheddar and Italian blend flavors, next time, I think I'll use 2 tsp)
1 scrambled egg
Diced scallions, optional, for garnish
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1) Spray a squirt or two of oil spray into muffin opening.
(I forgot to take a picture of this step, but I'm sure you get it.)
2) Place squash into muffin tin, pressing into the bottom and on the sides.
3) Place bacon on top of squash.
4) Top bacon with 1 tsp of Daiya cheese.
5) Scramble an egg and pour on top. Garnish with scallions, pepper or whatever you like.
6) Repeat this process for as many muffins as you would like to make.
7) Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
8) Gently pull muffins out of muffin tin and enjoy!